Mahesh graduated from SUA, concentrating in INTS, in 2019, after which he moved back home to Nepal and worked for a private research institute for about two years. He is currently pursuing an Erasmus Mundus Joint Master’s in Security, Intelligence, and Strategic Studies from University of Glasgow (Scotland), Dublin City University (Ireland), and Charles University (Czech Republic).

How did International Studies prepare you for life after SUA?
SUA offers ample opportunities for students particularly interested in continuing their academic journey. SUA’s liberal arts training equipped me with useful critical thinking and communication skills, which were visible in my research outputs at work. Under the International Studies concentration, I had the flexibility to pick a wide range of courses related to Political Science and International Relations. These courses, taught in small seminar-style classes, have prepared me well for not just graduate school, which I am currently attending, but also my career in research. Besides, SUA provided me multiple opportunities for research, publication, and academic conferences participation, all of which are valuable experiences for a young academic.

What are some of your best memories and lessons from INTS classes?
My favorite memories from INTS classes are visiting local mosques, temples, and churches in Southern California for Political Islam and Political Buddhism classes. These local tours provided a great opportunity to listen to the priests/practitioners of the faiths, understand, and analyze the existing intra- and inter-religious differences and their political implications.

Do you have any advice for current INTS concentrators?
Like most other alumni, I would like to suggest all current INTS concentrators to recognize and take advantage of the wide range of opportunities provided by SUA, be it through learning cluster courses, research opportunities, and summer internships. Having a sense of direction about post-SUA life helps navigate through these opportunities even better. For instance, if you are interested in applying for graduate schools, writing the senior thesis on a relevant topic, gaining research experiences, and working closely with professors can prove extremely helpful.