Project on Youth Attitudes examines high school students opinions on controversial topics, who they tend to discuss topics with, and who is the most influential in shaping their attitudes.
This is a timely project inspired by capstone student, Alicia Davis (Class of 2019), in reaction to recent political campaigns and social movements.
- Chang, E.S. (Chair). Attitudes towards immigrants as people: Social and developmental approaches to understanding acceptance. Accepted symposium to be conducted at the annual meetings of the Western Psychological Association, rescheduled for San Francisco, October, 2020.
- Davis, A.* & Chang, E.S. News Consumption and Youth Acceptance of Refugees: The Mediating Role of Discussions with Mothers, Fathers, and Peers. Accepted for presentation at the biennial meetings of the Society for Research on Adolescence; cancelled due to COVID19.
Culture, Body Image, and Weight Management Project with Jianmin Shao (class of 2017) and Yuying Tsong, PH.D investigates how beauty standards via parental interactions can potentially influence young adult body image and weight management. We are currently analyzing and collecting data.
- APS Poster Presentation (May, 2018)
- Shao, J.*, Chang, E.S., Tsong, Y. & Chen, C. Ethnic differences in disordered eating: The role of maternal expectations and perceived overinvolvement in weight management. Individual Paper accepted for presentation at the biennial meetings of the Society for Research on Adolescence, cancelled due to COVID 19.
Shared Agency for Occupational Goals (with Jacob Shane, PH.D. and Ana Varvak, PHD) examines how young adults in the transition to adulthood perceive how others are involved in helping them achieve their occupational goals. Currently, we are analyzing data on young adults from ages 18 to 29 after asking them about how their mothers, fathers, mentors, and romantic partners are involved in their occupational goals.
- Chang, E.S., Shane, J., Varvak, A., & Davis, A.* Gender Differences in Occupational Goal Pursuit between College-enrolled Emerging Adults and their Social Partners. Poster presented at the biennial meetings of the International Society for the Study of Behavioral Development, Gold Coast, Australia, July, 2018.