Shunji graduated from SUA in 2021. He is currently a J.D. candidate at Georgetown University Law Center. 

How did International Studies prepare you for life after SUA?
INTS deepened my interest in law. As I learned about different political and economic systems in INTS 305 Democracy and Democratization & INTS 365 State and Society, I became increasingly intrigued by the functions of law and their implications to society. In addition, discussion-based classes and the mentorship of INTS professors equipped me with essential academic and interpersonal skills for my study at law school. 

What are some of your best memories and lessons from INTS classes?
INTS classes are rigorous. I spent much of my day at the library, challenging and expanding my limits. Oddly, I like these memories because they make me proud of who I am today. At the same time, INTS professors kindly took me under their wings, and I was able to build my foundation of academics because of their support. Every time I visited their office, I was encouraged and energized to do my best. 

Do you have any advice for current INTS concentrators?
Keep your eyes wide open to many opportunities after SUA! Some students may think that their career paths are limited to diplomacy, international organizations, or academics after studying international studies (all of these are great options). But as I am studying at law school now, you may pursue various careers including law, business, finance, consulting and many other fields. Skills you develop in INTS are applicable and transferable to many opportunities, so I hope you enjoy INTS courses to the fullest without worrying much about your career potential. Also, please feel free to reach out to alumni as you are browsing this alumni page. Many of us are excited to get to know you and happy to support you!