Laura graduated from SUA with a concentration in International Studies in 2015. She currently teaches English in Cusco, Peru.

What is your best memory as an International Studies concentrator?
My best memory as an IS concentrator is all of the Latin American studies classes I took with Professor Ian Read. His classes were always stimulating and challenging. Through them I found my passion in life and what I wanted to pursue once I graduated.

How did International Studies prepare you for life after SUA?
I am currently living in Peru and I believe many of the classes I took prepared me to live a much better and more fulfilling life abroad. The perspectives I gained in my IS classes helped me be a better traveler and global citizen. Additionally, I’m now applying to grad school in Latin American Studies and obviously having my undergraduate degree in International Studies will help me get into those programs.

Do you have any advice for current International Studies concentrators?
Get to know your professors and make sure you maintain good relationships with them! The connections they have and letters of recommendation they can write are invaluable. Also, try to travel as much as possible! The firsthand international experience you will gain is so much more valuable than just reading books.

Posted Winter 2017

Save

Save

Save

Save