Culture, Body Image, and Weight Management Project (with Yuying Tsong, PH.D) investigates how beauty standards (specifically looking at parents as socializing agents) can potentially influence young adult body image and weight management.
Shared Agency for Occupational Goals (with Jacob Shane, PH.D. and Ana Varvak, PHD) examines how young adults in the transition to adulthood perceive how others are involved in helping them achieve their occupational goals. Currently, we are analyzing data on young adults from ages 18 to 29 after asking them about how their mothers, fathers, mentors, and romantic partners are involved in their occupational goals.
The CASA OC Project (with Gary Germo, PH.D.) attempts to understand the characteristics of high-quality advocating and its potential impact on the well being of foster youth and volunteers for the program.
- APS paper presentation “Community Involvement at Midlife” (2017, Boston)
- CASA Conference Invited talk “Hopes and dreams for foster youth: Now what?” (2018, Mission Viejo)
The Kirogi Family Project (with Boram Lee, Ph.D) examines how educational goals are shared and pursued jointly with family members who are referred to as “Kirogi” in Korean, which means “wild geese” and refers to transnational living for the sake of children’s education.
- Chang, E.S. (2016). Kirogi women’s psychological well-being: The relative contributions of marital quality, mother-child relationship quality, and youth’s educational adjustment. Journal of Family Issues. doi: 10.1177/0192513X16632265
- Chang, E.S. & Lee, B, (2017). Parenting goals and perceived shared and non-shared agency among kirogi mothers of a youth. International Journal of Adolescence and Youth. doi: 10.1080/02673843.2016.1245149
- Chang, E.S. & Lee, B*. “I just want my child to be happy”: Parental Academic Socialization among Kirogi Mothers of a Youth. Poster presented at the annual convention of the Association for Psychological Science, NYC, May, 2015.
- Chang ,E.S. The role of marital quality, parent-child relationship quality, and youth’s educational adjustment for kirogi mothers’ psychological adjustment. Poster presented at the inaugural International Convention of Psychological Science, Amsterdam, Netherlands, March 2015.
- Chang, E.S., Lee, B.*, Kim, Y.*, Kim, M.J.* Kirogi Mothers’ Psychological Adjustment: Does Youth’s Educational Adjustment and Feelings of Parental Sacrifice Matter? Poster presented at the annual meetings of the Western Psychological Association, Portland, Oregon, April, 2014.
Yubin Kim (Class of 2016) presents our poster at WPA 2014