Irina graduated from SUA with a concentration in International Studies in 2010. She is currently a professor at Universidad DeLaSalle in Leon, Guanajuato, Mexico.img_4929-002

What is your best memory as an International Studies concentrator?

One of my best memories is going on the UN Study Tour, where we had the opportunity to ask questions about what we were studying directly to those who work in the field. Another great memory is one of the special classes given by Nobel Laureate Betty Williams.

How did International Studies prepare you for life after SUA?

After SUA, I obtained an MA in Conflict Studies and Human Rights from Utrecht University in the Netherlands. The IS classes I took while at SUA gave me the necessary background to excel in my MA classes, and to further my research into the efficiency of UN peacekeeping operations. After graduating, I worked in Afghanistan for several years, where I experienced hands on some of the issues we discussed in classes such as The UN and World Politics, or Peace and Conflict Resolution. The Distinguished Lecturer’s program also gave us the unique opportunity to meet well-known professionals active in the international arena, who better prepared us for what to expect upon graduating.

Do you have any advice for current International Studies concentrators?

Take advantage of all opportunities that SUA offers, such as study tours, learning clusters, or Model United Nations. Focus on your studies, but at the same time start getting job experience by doing internships because even entry-level jobs ask for years of experience. And, make connections everywhere you go. You never know where the next opportunity will come from.

Posted Winter 2017

Save

Save