Alum Fumihiko Tominaga

Fumihiko graduated from SUA with a concentration in International Studies in 2008. He currently works for the United Nations Development Programme in Kosovo where he is a dsc_1900Programme Analyst for Environment, Climate and Disaster Resilience.

What is your best memory from INTS classes?

I took the Emergence of Modern Japan class taught by Professor Michael Weiner and very much enjoyed every aspect of this class. This class not only reinforced my passion for Japanese history but also trained me to be a better writer. On the final exam, I got a full mark and the comment “Outstanding!” from Professor Weiner, who is known to be a tough grader. This was truly a highlight of my SUA life.

How did INTS prepare you for life after SUA?

The INTS classes I took at SUA were helpful in general to prepare myself for more specialized studies at the graduate level. The basic knowledge of international relations and public policy as well as solid writing skills that I acquired at SUA contributed to a successful graduate career, which in turn led to a good professional career prospect. More specifically, the basic knowledge about the United Nations (UN) that I learned through INTS classes was very helpful when I got into the UN.

Do you have any advice for current INTS concentrators?

I would advise to be open-minded and broaden your perspective. At a liberal arts college like SUA, you have the luxury to take courses in a variety of fields. International Studies covers many different subjects, so I would suggest that current students take different courses and broaden your point of view. 

Posted Fall 2016

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save